Monday, September 14, 2009

Centered and Grounded

Hello ! I'm back - for how long - who know's! But anyway...

Yesterday I did the Canberra Times Fun Run, which is a 10km course down one of the main roads through Canberra, past parliament house and finishing up in the park that runs alongside Lake Burleigh Griffin.

For the first time ever I really wasn't in it to race myself or anyone else or the clock. I probably walked at least a 1/3 rd of the course. But - I hadn't trained and I knew I wasn't fit enough to run 10km.

However - Yesterday was 7months to the day that Harris wass born.

I spent a good portion of the run congratulating myself for even entering and for being able to run the parts that I did run. Afterall - it has been about 18 months since I have run much more than 5km.

I think yesterday was good for me because it was a bit of a turning point for me - doing the fun run yesterday made me realise that I have done what I didn't think I would be able to do. I had a baby and came out the otherside unscathed. I can still do the things I did before I had the baby. Sure - Harris makes my wants come second because he is my priority - but slowly but surely I have learnt to fit in what I want to do around him.

My whole focus on life has changed and the things that used to take up so much of my mental energy are not so important to me anymore.

He has made me centered and grounded - having hime has shown me what is truly important in life - having him has taught me to have much more respect for what my body is capable of - and to have more respect for how I look. In all honesty - I simply cannot believe that I ever criticised my body before.

I realised doing the run yesterday that before now I really wasn't ready to get back into running - to begin to do something that is purley for me. I did enjoy running yesterday and I remembered that I do enjoy running as an activity. It is empowering and makes you feel free.

so - here's to getting back into running aver the next year or so. I can't wait to be running fit again and to actually enjoy being out there!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome Andrea. Congratulations on the run and on Harris' 7 month mark. He is very cute, you must be proud.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and well done! On Saturday I totally forgot to ask you if you were going to do the run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Andj and great job on the 10km run.

    You sound like you are in a really nice place at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, that is awesome, and I cant believe that Harris is 7 months old already!

    Hopefully I can say similar things when my little one is 7 months old :)

    Hilary xx

    ReplyDelete