Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Bug




I was out walking today with Harris asleep in the pram and the music from the ipod blaring in my ears - I am positive that is when I accomplish my best thinking.

I was thinking about how motivated I was to train when I was training for the half marathon and what the factors were that contributed to that motivation and I decided that it's "The Bug" that contributes a lot for me.

So what exactly is "the bug" - it's that unexplanable drive and motivation you get when you immerse yourself into a project and you just can't get enough of it - when you are realy looking forward to the outcome or the upcoming event. One of my favourite things in the world is looking forward to an upcoming event and having the excitement build.

In the terms of an athletic event part of that involves the build up events and actions that remind you of the nervous tension and excitement and the reason why you are there doing it in the first place. Those little events that keep the fire alive in side the bug (Perhaps we should call it the firefly).

So I've lost my bug! I realised that this was what I was missing - all those little things that keep me immersed. The gym alone isn't enough.

But when I go out for walks and get these tidbits of inspiation I feel like the bug is there floating around the edges of me.

So I have my event and it's time to try and reignite the bug.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand that bug, it fills you right up, gives you something to look forward to, you think about it all the time... I was the same when I did the training for my half marathon.

    I am about to start another 12 week program, which looks fantastic and I can't wait to get the bug back and the feeling of being healthy.

    I look forward to hearing about the training for your event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He Is just adoreable with those big eyes... so cute!

    I'm glad you have a goal in mind & cant wait to hear what it is!

    ReplyDelete