Tuesday, July 28, 2009

If I could walk 500 miles.....


I have decided to add on to my goals for this 100 day challenge - still keeping it simple - I thought that I did need to make it a little more challenging.

The goal is to "Travel" 500 Kilometers by the end of the 100 days.

That equates to 35 kilometers per week and 5 km per day.

As I don't always walk/run I figured that I need to allocate an arbitrary number to the days that I do cardio that does not translate to a distance or I am unable to measure the distance.

So:

1 Hour of Cardio activity = 5km distance travelled

so for example - a cardio class at the gym is equal to 5km OR 30 mins on the bike or elliptical is equal to 2.5km.

I realised that some days I might physically do more than 5km - especially if I am walking - so I am not limited to only 35 km per week, I am able to bank kilometers - as long as the tally at the end is equal to 500 - thats is all that matters!

I thought of this today while I was out walking - last year when I was training for the half marathon I used to tally the number of kilometers I had run and rode each week and it was like a little game to see if I could better it each week. I thought it might be nice to add a little fun challenge into the mix.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea Andrea, It's another great goal

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea. I've found myself walking these last few days and that from my house to the shops in the next town and back is exactly 5km (with a big hill). Hope your exercise is going well and you're feeling great for it :)
    Cheers (from another Andrea)

    ReplyDelete