Thursday, September 18, 2008

Drowning in work

It's amazing..... I haven't been this fullfilled by my professional work in SUCH a long time. I just didn't stop today, saw patients, dealt with an emergency patient from ICU and am feeling very challenged. It's a big change from what I was used to before.

I think that despite all of the things that are going on with the family etc, in the long run I think the move will be a good thing for me. But I really do miss my Brisbane friends and Brisbane in general.

I am not sure that having 12 months off work is the best thing for me to do next year but I gues that I don't really have a choice there. I might see how me and bubs are going after 6 months and then investigate the prospects of going back early. Although It makes sense to use up all of the paid leave that I am entitled to, and that is about 8 months worth. It would depend on Childcare as well. I am only going to go back to work 3 days per week when I do go back though.

So I had a relatively good day yesterday, ate all of my pre prepared food and felt really good until about 3pm when I started to get a bit foggy headed - it was definitely a case of my body reacting to not having as much sugar as it would usually get. I caved in and had a latte and a few arrowroot biscuits.

Today was a total write off. But it is all in the mind and I just need to find the right level of motivation. It's coming - I can feel it.

I feel great when I eat fresh, healthy things that aren'nt pre prepared and I know this. THe thing is - it is difficult for me to eat healthy food without being in a dieting mindset. I just have to remind myself that I do have enough "spare" calories to have a treat if I want it. But small treat NOT a Chocolate milkshake AND a caramel Scroll from the bakery. (that was today's breakfast)

But a freddo frog (one small freddo frog) at afternoon tea is not going to break the food budget by any means!

I did the maths via Calorie king on some of my past day's worth of food and compared it to my Basal Metabolic Rate for my current weight and activity level (Which I consider sedentary at the moment) and I am not surprised that I was putting on 800 g/week - the maths told me it all clear as day.

I can eat up to 1800 - 2000 cal per day and on that I should be able to maintain easily. If I get some decent walks in on the weekend that will give me even more freddo frog leeway.

Now all I have to do it get the self talk aspect right and get past the simple sugar slump of the first few days.

1 comment:

  1. I am hearing you on missing work Andj!

    Lately I have really been feeling like I need something else. I LOVE Maya and love spending my days with her but it can all get a bit monotonous at times!

    Sometimes I just crave adult company!

    ReplyDelete