Friday, September 12, 2008

Now that it has been almost three months since arriving in Canberra, I am starting to feel a little more organised and settled. I think that sometime it is the things that make life comfortable - such as little rituals and habit that surround the place where you live are as difficult to leave behind as the house and suburb itself.

Not moving directly into our own house has made it a little more difficult I think because we have had to get used to working in with the rituals and habits of someone else as well.
One of the things I did regularly and was very dilligent with was fortnightly menu planning. I always knew exactly what there was in the house to cook a range of different meals at any given time. I had a habit of sitting down on a Sunday once a fortnight and writing out a "menu" for the fortnight so I knew exactly what i had and what I needed to get from the shops.

Since moving here it has been difficult to keep that up - firstly because of the kitchen sharing factor and secondly because I just didn't feel like cooking for such a long time. The other thing that was difficult was not knowing where the best place to go grocery shopping was - finding a good butcher and vege shop etc

So this week I have managed it and here is what is on my list:
Chicken and Vegetable Risotto
Spaghetti bolognaise
Quiche and vegetables
Lamb and spinach curry
Vegetable Ravioli
Bought meat pie and vegetables
Taco's

I know that the list is really only for one week. But I always make too much and have leftovers which I freeze. Then next week on a few nights we will pull out the leftovers and I will come up with a few more meals for next week as well.

It feels really good to be getting back towards being organised. The small amount of running I have been doing is making me happy. It feels good to be doing it purely for fitness and not for weight loss purposes.

I know that next year I will probably have to resume the weight loss journey for a little while - but I really do know what works for me now. I have good habits and strategies there and I know exactly what I need to do - when the time comes.

Nearly halfway through the week - tomorrow is Wednesday - then I have Thursday off work - yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment