Thursday, March 19, 2009

Understatement

Well I guess that I was expecting it but sore legs was an understatement. It has been such a long time between DOMS that I think I had forgotten just how bad they can be. Combine that with a tiny baby who demands lots of hugs and attention (willingly given of course!) when standing up and sitting down is painful - lets just say OUCH and be done with it!

So I had a great 7 km walk on those sore legs yesterday. I also had a sopt on day with food consumption and the scales did reward me today. I am going to have to be tight with the food side of things if I want to get where I want to be by April 2nd.

I have been having a protein shake for breakfast the past few days (Oats, protein powder, 100ml milk, 100ml water, ice - blend) - mainly because it was quick and easy to eat while I was feeding Harris. I did a bit of research first to make sure that it was OK to have protein powders while breastfeeding - and everything I read said yes. However - I'm not sure it agrees with the little one - we went through 5 nappies in an hour yesterday afternoon - eeewww! However - the day before it didn't seem to bother him too much. I am have 2 protein powder free days to see if it makes a difference.

So now I have to come up with a few snack options that don't involve protein powder. Breakast is OK - I can live without it - even though it is very convenient. There is always omlettes and oats. A protein shake and an apple was always a good snack option for me though. I had almonds with my apple this morning.

I also had a very tasty lunch today Salad with a small drizzle of mayo and a smattering of capers with a tin of tuna and a tortilla wrap.

So today I have to sort out some arms, shoulders, back and abs strength work to add to the program. I am liking the way my week is shaping up so far.

Monday - 1 hour walk + Shoulders/Back
Tuesday - Legs + 1 hour walk (inc hill)
Wednesday - 7km lap of Lake Gininderra (will be walk/run eventually)
Thursday - 40 mins walking + Arms/Abs
Friday - Walk/Run intervals 1 hour @ Lake Burley Griffin
saturday - Rest/Leisurely walk to shops
Sunday - Leisurely walk up Mt Oakey with Dog + 20 min run without baby and pram (building up to Long run)

HaHa - I also did something that I have never done this morning. I bought something off an infomercial on the television. It was just makeup and I thought hey - why not I'll give it a go.
It can be a birthday present for myself!

3 comments:

  1. Well done on your exercising efforts,you should be very proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Irene - it is taking a while to find the right headspace but it's coming back slowly. Half the battle is coming to terms with making the most of the time I have available to me now that I'm not working. I need to spend this year making the most of it and getting back to where I was before I go back to work.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great at fitting in what you can. I hope you DOMS disappears quickly. I'm now feeling better, so shall we meet up next week? Let me know where would suit you.

    ReplyDelete