Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to it..

Back at work today and I was really dreading it. I'm not really sure why because - as it turns out I am pretty good at entertaining myself when I need to.

I just keep telling myself - three more weeks, three more weeks.

I think that it is just because I don't get to wear comfortable clothes when i am at work and I do when I am at home.

However, as it turns out, I was quite happy to be at work in the airconditioning because it was hot hot hot here in Canberra today. Everytime I walked into the building it was so lovely and cool.

I had a doctors appointment today and I asked about the rib pain. Turns out that it isn't that uncommon - especially localised right sided rib pain - which is what I am getting. Apparently your ribs 'stretch' a bit to accomodate the growing baby and this is where the pain ends up. I have to look forward to it from now until the baby comes unfortunately - although it might ease a little once he drops down a bit. If he drops down - which apparently they don't all do.

My solution is to eat smaller meals that don't fill as much stomach space - as that seems to keep the pain at bay a little.

Tonight we had the yummiest Chicken salad - and that will be my lunch for tomorrow as well.
I have been eating lots of fruit and things that aren't too bulky. I am so glad that it is summer!

I think I need to trawl back through my recipie files and find some more light summery dinners for the next few weeks.

I am starting to get really excited about the prospects of running again, starting to plan away in my mind, planning food etc. I was quite honoured today when one of the guys at work came and asked me for training advice because he is starting to get into running a little bit. I do like having someone to talk to about all the technical side of things.

My plan so far - although very basic -involves:
1. Having the baby
2. Waiting until the doctor gives me the all clear to start back with gentle walking. I am hoping that this is before the 6 weeks post partum check up.
3. Spend the next 6 weeks building up to walking 4 - 5 km per day, alternating with spin bike sessions at home and some home based weights work. Restablish good eating habits, routines and preparation.
4. Add running back in. Aiming for 1 x gentle speed work session, 1 x moderate tempo run, and 1 x longer run on weekends. Alternate with walking and spin bike sessions on other days. Investigate joining the local gym because it will be getting cold....

That is pretty much all I have thought about for now. But it is a good basic structure.

2 comments:

  1. Canberra's heat always did make it attractive being at work instead of at home through summer. But when I retired, one of the first things I bought was an effective air conditioner (cooler) for home. I couldn't survive without it. Hope you are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever commented before.... but just wanted to wish you all the best for the safe arrival of your bundle of joy! How exciting.

    Best of luck staying cool... I live on the Central Coast, and I know I'm struggling....

    -Jac

    ReplyDelete