Monday, January 19, 2009

how I know when I am unfit

Now I know what you'll all be thinking... she is nine months pregnant and she expects to be fit?

But thats not really what I was getting at.

A while ago (like perhaps 2 years) I was on an on again off again rollercoaster of dieting and exercise regimens that would last three weeks. That would be three weeks of give my all, obsessive all or nothing black and white thinking, only to give up at the end of the three weeks because it was clearly going to be far too difficult to continue at this pace.

Well of course it was!! Somewhere along the way I realised this and changed my methods. I was much better off for it and I started actually achieving things with my health and fitness.

Anyway - that was a little off topic.

The three weeks would then be followed by about a month of nothing and then I would start to feel like rubbish again and do it all over again.

Something I noticed when my fitness levels were starting to wane OR in that first week when I was starting to get back into it, would be that my hands would get really painful and all tingly whenever I went for a long walk (an exercise driven walk - not just a walk to the shops).

I decided today that I am going to try and start walking with Mark in the evenings - when I am feeling up to it - whenever I can from now on.
Why now you might ask?
two reasons:

1) Because until just this past few weeks I have had excruciating back pain that prevented me from walking too far at all - it seems to have gone now which is strange but good.

2) Because - and I know this is a bit silly - apparently walking can encourage the onset of labour. It may be an old wives tale but hey! I want him to come and be on the outside of this world sooner rather than later and I am willing to give any old wives tale a go to get things on the move!

So I went for a walk tonight - only 20 mins or so - but a walk all the same - and OW my hands - all tingly and painful. Hopefully if I can make the walks regular enough thais will start to ease off.
It felt quite good toget out in the evening air and do something physical!

2 comments:

  1. My legs go all tingly and itchy when I am unfit either running or walking and it is horrible. I hope your walks go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Andj! Who knows it might work? Although I walked everyday that I was pregnant with Maya Lily for at least an hour and she didn't come any earlier ;)

    It will be good for your sleeping though and at this stage of pregnancy anything that helps you sleep is a bonus :)

    ReplyDelete